Getting Organized Before Surgery
By Western Berks Physical Therapy on January 6th, 2020
During the weeks before your surgery, many people will ask about insurance coverage, medical history, and legal arrangements. You may feel that you are answering the same questions over and over again, but this repetition is necessary to meet quality assurance and medical insurance guidelines.
To make this easier and less stressful, take a few minutes to put together a list of your personal and medical information. This will help speed the process and ensure that you provide your healthcare team with all the critical information needed for a successful surgery. Be sure that your list includes the following:
- The name and phone number of who will be assisting you during your recovery. This could be your spouse, sibling, friend, caregiver, etc.
- Names and phone numbers for all doctors you currently see and your reasons for seeing them.
- Any medical conditions or health problems you have.
- Previous operations you have undergone, even those not related to your current problem.
- Medications you are currently taking along with their dosage and frequency. Do not forget to include supplements or other over-the-counter medications you take regularly.
- Allergies or adverse reactions you have had to drugs or anesthesia in the past.
- Dietary restrictions and food allergies.
- The name of your insurance company(s), along with the plan or group number and contact information. Be sure to bring your insurance card(s) to the hospital with you.
From improving recovery times and shortening hospital stays to improving function and healing of soft tissue injuries, physical therapy is a vital key to returning you to activity. If you are in the process of scheduling a joint replacement surgery, let Western Berks Physical Therapy help you prepare to have the best possible outcome before with prehab and after with rehab. Visit us at one of our three convenient locations in Wyomissing, Laureldale and Robesonia.